[Ifeffit] Transmission EXAFS sample

"Dr. Dariusz A. Zając" kicaj at ifj.edu.pl
Fri Nov 19 04:46:09 CST 2010

  Hi Jatin
from my modest experience the problem comes with the noise from
detectors (typically from ionisation chambers- before and after sample).
When the sample is too thick than signal/noise ratio becomes smaller,
that means you are limited in k space. I have measured liquid samples
with edge jump ~0.1 (in ln scale) and this allowed me to observe changes
in the first coordination shell, but nothing more. If you measure you
can also try to rotate sample 45 deg.
answering for your second question - usually I mix sample with
cellulose, or with other powders and make a pellet.
with such small signal you can also think about TFY (e.g. PIPS diode) -
it gives sometimes in such situation better signal/noise ratio
cheers
kicaj