[Ifeffit] Origin of terminology "self-absorption"

Ponader, Carl W Dr PonaderCW at corning.com
Wed Nov 17 07:59:19 CST 2010

Scott may be right about its borrowing. The term "self-absorption" is
used in XRF and XRD to describe the fall-off in characteristic line
emission from an x-ray tube with a heavy element (e.g. silver or
tungsten) target as the potential is increased.  With light element
targets the emission increases roughly monotonically with potential.
With heavy element targets, the emission eventually saturates and may
even roll-over. See "Quantitative X-ray Spectrometry", Jenkins, Gould
and Geddke, 1981.

Carl

Carl W. Ponader Ph.D.
Characterization Science & Services