[Ifeffit] Scripting - Python

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon Nov 1 12:26:52 CDT 2010

On Monday 01 November 2010 01:01:14 pm Andrew Korinda wrote:
> ~Finally, would I be better off coding in Perl and using Demeter?

Well, my opinion here is so very biased that I am better off leaving
your question for others to answer.

That said, Demeter is a very different beast from the Python wrapper.
The Python and Perl wrappers are pretty much the same thing in that
they give you direct access to the ifeffit command line from your
script.  Demeter does use the perl wrapper, but hides it under a
mountain of additional functionality.  Using Demeter, you do not
interact in any direct way with Ifeffit.  Instead you write programs
using Demeter OO data structures and leave the interactions with
Ifeffit and Feff up to the underlying libraries.  If that sort of
abstraction is attractive to you, then Demeter might be what you are
looking for.  If, however, you'd prefer to interact directly with
Ifeffit, but with control structures and whatnot, then you will
probably prefer to use one of the wrappers.

Also Demeter is being actively developed -- in fact, I squished some
bugs just last night!  I use it for almost all of my own data analysis
chores these days.  In fact, I am getting very close to my first
testing release of Athena and Artemis rewritten using Demeter.

So, if you are interested, I'd love to have you give it a try.  There
is extensive (but not complete) documentation that comes when you
download from the SVN repository.  There are also also numerous
"recipes" that come along when you download everything.

HTH,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov