[Ifeffit] ODP: small screens and my software

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Mon May 17 07:03:19 CDT 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 04:08:36 am Zajac, Dariusz A. wrote:
> I've just wanted to inform you that it works not always.
> I have changed font size but it didn't change the size of window under
>  Windows XP. I work temporary at 1024x600 screen size, and to open files I
>  need to change it to 1024x768. Additionally, the *.ini files in my case
>  are in the folder c:\Program Files\Ifeffit\Share\Athena

Darek,

There are two initialization files -- one system-wide, one for each
user.  The first time Athena starts, it copies the system-wide file
into the user's space.  This is true on both Windows and unix.  The
folder you mention is the location of the system-wide initialization
file.

Each subsequent time that Athena starts, it initializes all
preferences using hard-coded values.  It then reads the system-wide
file and resets all preferences to those values.  Finally, it reads
the user's initialization file and again resets all preferences to
those values.  In this way, all preferences are guaranteed to be set
to something, a system administrator can set sensible system-wide
defaults, and the user can maintain a personal set of preference
values.  This is, perhaps, overkill for a machine that only has one
user, but it is a system that meets a wide variety of needs.

If you edit the system-wide file without either also editing or
deleting your personal init file, then you will not see the effect.
That is because the values from the personal init file over-ride the
edit you made to the system-wide file.

As I said, the personal init file is placed in "C:\Documents and
Settings\bravel\Application Data\" on my Windows computer.  Obviously,
your location will not have "bravel" in the path.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov