[Ifeffit] energy resolution

Matthew mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed May 5 13:42:46 CDT 2010

That method only works at one energy, and assumes something about the width of the V2O5 feature.  Another possible method might be
to measure, in back-reflection, a high-order Bragg reflection from a Si crystal.  For instance, the 555 reflection would be at
9.9keV.  If you put up a 111 Si crystal and did a transmission scan, maybe you could detect the reflection as a transmission dip.
You would then play with the orientation of the crystal so that the energy at which this dip occurred was as low as possible,
meaning that you were at back-reflection.  This condition is useful because it gives the least sensitivity to beam divergence.  You
could then calculate the Darwin broadening of the 555 reflection to correct the observed value.  By choosing different reflections,
you could measure the resolution at different energies.  Of course, I haven't tried this myself.
    mam