[Ifeffit] Differences between fluorescence and transmission of the same sample

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed May 5 09:30:18 CDT 2010

Andrew,

I suspect that you are seeing what Grant refers to in his tutorials as
"leakage".  That is, your transmission data appears to my eye to be
what happens when you have a wide spread in sample thickness under the
beam, ranging from gaps to very thick particles.

If you go to

  http://gbxafs.iit.edu/training/tutorials.html

And follow the link to the "Sample preparation" presentation, the
effect of leakage is shown on slide 16.

On the following slide, Grant points out that this thickness effect
always reduces amplitudes.  That is the case above the edge for your
data.  And if you normalize data distorted in that way, you end up
with an artificially enhanced pre-edge peak, again as in your data.

My US$0.02,

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov