[Ifeffit] Measuring particle size of metal oxide

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sun Mar 28 11:51:16 CDT 2010

Hi Bill,

Sorry for my slow response; I've been swamped. And ironically, the
fact that I'm very interested in your topic and wanted to give a good
reply slowed me from getting to it!

I'm also going to repost your question and my response to the IFEFFIT
mailing list, as I think it's of general interest.

I think you're missing a key idea concerning this procedure. Both my
method and Anatoly Frenkel's method for finding particle size rely on
comparing the effective coordination for different paths. I am
skeptical of EXAFS determinations of particle size using only one
path, as coordination number is hard to tease out from other effects
that suppress amplitude (sample quality, disorder, vacancies...). But
the relative coordination number of different shells is more reliable.

So you should be using more than one path, each with its own r (the
absorber-scatterer distance), in order to refine a single value for R,
the crystallite radius.

If you're using Artemis, this is simple enough to do, as each path has
a reff value (which is r in the formula you give), and you can define
a guessed parameter R. (To do this right, you need to make sure that
the r for multiple-scattering paths is the distance from the absorber
to the furthest scatterer, not the half-path length. That means
putting the value in "by hand" for those paths, rather than using reff.)

(If you want a really quick and dirty method, collect a reference for
a bulk standard and for your sample, and multiply the FT of the bulk
spectrum by the formula, adjusting R until you get a good match. The
quick and dirty method doesn't handle multiple-scattering correctly,
and has the usual problem of the fact that even for direct-scattering
paths the peaks of the FT are shifted from actual absorber-scatterer
distances. But it is model-free, which can be nice in some cases.)

By the way, the formula you've cited is derived for spherical
particles. If they're kinda sorta spherical, it will still give a
decent approximation and fit. But if the particles are needle-shaped
or flat plates, then it doesn't work well. You either have to derive
another formula, or look at Anatoly's papers, which have addressed a
number of common morphologies.

So far, everything I've said applies to metals, and you asked about
oxides. While most of this also applies to oxides, it's important to
realize that the nearest-neighbor oxide paths are not suppressed at
all; i.e. the formula doesn't apply until the first metal-metal path
(but does apply to metal-oxide paths further out). This is because the
surface of such particles is generally comprised of oxygen atoms, and
the first scattering shell is thus fully populated no matter how small
the particles are.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College