[Ifeffit] C and N NEXAFS normalization

Jeff Terry terryj at iit.edu
Tue Jun 8 14:56:50 CDT 2010

Hi Peter,

I have used both methods in the past. Both can run you astray, if done
improperly.

The better thing to do though is to fix the backgrounds. If you look
at the I0 signal, you should be able to tell if it is C or N on the
optics or on the I0 grid.

I have had far more trouble normalizing when C or O is on the grid. I
have not done much N work. This can be fixed by evaporating Au onto
the grid.

I just had this problem last week at SSRL. I had terrible backgrounds
that a fresh coat of Au cleaned right up.

After cleaning the grid, both methods gave similar results.

Jeff