[Ifeffit] updating Athena in Windows 7

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 28 07:37:52 CDT 2010

Hi Todd,

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Monson, Todd <tmonson at sandia.gov> wrote:
> On Saturday, while starting up Athena, I was informed that there was an
> update to Athena available.  I tried installing the update but failed.  I am
> afraid this is due to some user permission issue in windows 7.  How can I
> try to reinstall the update and ensure that it works?

You can change the file current.dat in C:\Program
Files\Ifeffit\config.  It probably reads

013

right now, and you could change that to 012 or even lower.  That will
cause an update the next time ifeffit looks for updates, which only
happens when one of the programs starts and if the time in
Ifeffit\config\updater.ini is past.  To force a check for updates the
next time ifeffit runs, change updater.ini to read

timestamp = 0

In general, I believe this should work for Windows 7 (I have access to
two Windows 7 64-bit machines, and all seems to be working on them,
though I admit to not stressing them too much).  So, as you say, I
would also guess that the trouble you had was "only" permission
issues.  But, please let us know how it goes,

Sorry for the trouble,