[Ifeffit] Negative ss problem

Kropf, Arthur Jeremy kropf at anl.gov
Wed Jul 14 08:46:15 CDT 2010

Abhijeet,

Consider the energy resolution of the dispersive EXAFS beamline.  A poor
energy resolution could suppress the low-k amplitude causing the
Debye-Waller factor to compensate by being articifically low.  However,
you also have an amplitude larger than 1.  Adding an Ei component will
address the problem of poor energy resolution, but I would suggest that
it should be based on the measured energy resolution rather than being a
"guessed" variable.  You can also measure the appropriate Ei using a
known sample, such as a copper foil for which you have comparable
spectra on a beamline with better energy resolution.

What scattering paths and at what bond lengths are responsible for the
peak below 1 angstrom?  It seems unlikely to me that a Cu-O or Cu-N path
would produce such a peak.  These peaks would more typically be closer
to 1.5 angstroms.

Jeremy Kropf

Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division
Argonne National Laboratory
Argonne, IL