[Ifeffit] ATHENA: "you have not used any memory yet"

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Jul 13 14:22:16 CDT 2010

On Tuesday 13 July 2010 01:22:18 pm Claire Gervais wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have recently installed ATHENA on my laptop (Lenovo X200) and runs into
> trouble when I try to open a file: The "data column" window opens well, and
> the plot is there but then I am stalled. At the bottom of the main window
>  is written: "you have not used any memory yet"
> I know that a previous thread was written on it ([Ifeffit] A problem with
> Athena from 2008)  but it seems to remain an open issue...
>
> Here is my configuration:
>    OS: Ubuntu Jaunty AMD64
>    Athena version: 0.8.059
>    Ifeffit version: 1.2.11d
> I have also tried with a previous Athena version, and on WindowsXP via
> Virtualbox. The problem remains. My data file is according to ATHENA
> standard (i.e. # for comments followed by columns).
>
> If you have any idea, I would be delighted to read it!

The "you have not used any memory yet" is part of Athena's attempt to
keep track of memory usage.  Since Ifeffit is written in Fortran,
there is no dynamic memory allocation.  Athena tries to keep track of
things so that it can warn you before you run out of the statically
allocated memory pool.

What you describe suggests something else is going on.  What do you
mean by "but then I am stalled"?  Is the "OK" button on the column
selection dialog not visible on the screen?  Or is it there but you
are unable to press it and have the program move on.

It has been a while since I have installed the codes on a 64 bit
machine, but I am setting up ubuntu lucid on a brand new Xeon machine
this afternoon.  If I run into a problem like this, I'll let you know.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov