[Ifeffit] Vanadium center fitting issues

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Sat Jul 10 12:31:49 CDT 2010

Hi Chris,

Yes, you do need to account for the inequivalent vanadiums. Each feff
calculation needs to be weighted by the fraction of vanadiums of that
type (if you're looking at a tabulation of the asymmetric unit in a
crystal structure, the number in the position codes like "8f" next to
the atoms tell you the relative numbers of each). Use the S02 field to
apply this weighting.

In one sense, that doubles the number of parameters. But the V-V paths
are present in both calculations, so that cuts it down a little. From
there, you have the usual options of trying to apply constraints that
aren't physically unreasonable, and seeing how the fit responds to them.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College