[Ifeffit] Clarification needed on the structured 2nn peak

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 6 07:52:16 CDT 2010

Dear Varadarian,

I didn't look at your attachments, but have you considered that there
might be some Cd-Ca in the second shell?   I didn't see what value of
x you had in Cd(1-x)CaxO, but if the oxides form a solid solution one
might naively expect the second shell to have  (1-x) Cd and x Ca
coordination.   Ca and Cd scatter photoelectrons  differently enough
to be distinguishable in the EXAFS.  It might be that there is extra
disorder too, say if the typical Cd-Ca distance was different from the
typical Cd-Cd distance.

Cheers,

--Matt