[Ifeffit] consultation

Welter, Edmund edmund.welter at desy.de
Thu Jan 28 10:37:41 CST 2010

Dear Mingliang,

simply because Athena is not normalising the height of the highest peak
(the white line) but the EXAFS region, that is it starts some 10 eV
above the edge. You choose the normalisation region in Athenas settings.
  You can see in your plots that it does this job quite well, the
spectra oscillate around 1 (at E > E0+40 eV).

Anyway, take care what you do when you try to fit a fluorescence yield
XAFS spectrum with references which were measured in transmission mode.
You must at least be sure that you considered the "self absorption
effect" which dampens the oscillations (most notably the large
oscillations in the XANES region). The importance of this effect depends
on your sample's composition.

Athena contains functions to correct the self absorption. In order to do
this you need the elemental composition of your sample and the angles
between sample, incoming beam and detector.

Best regards,
Edmund Welter