[Ifeffit] ATHENA on Ubuntu

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 27 13:47:03 CST 2010

Hi Andi,

This is a common problem.  I wish I had a really good solution to this
problem, but I don't.  Fortunately, I have an annoying but functional
solution.

The problem has to do with how fonts are handled in the graphics
toolkit I use to make Athena.  The solution is to tell Athena to use
smaller fonts.  Unfortunately, there is not a way to change the fonts
using Athena's preferences dialog.  instead, you have to edit Athena's
configuration file by hand.

The following is a unix specific solution.  The answer to the similar
problem on Windows is much the same, but the locations of files on
disk are different.

In the directoy $HOME/.horea you will find a file called "athenarc".
Open that file in a text editor (not a word processor -- use a text
editor, gedit or kedit will work just fine if you don't have a
favorite).  Scroll all the way to the bottom of the file where you
will find a section of parameters under the heading [fonts].

Each parameter will have a number associated with it, which is a font
size.  Make each number 1 or two smaller.  That is, change

     [fonts]
     smbold=Helvetica 10 bold
     tiny=Helvetica 8 normal
     med=Helvetica 12 normal
     medit=Helvetica 12 italic
     bold=Helvetica 12 bold
     boldit=Helvetica 12 bold italic
     large=Helvetica 14 normal
     fixed=Courier 12
     entry=Courier 10
     entrybold=Courier 10 bold
     small=Helvetica 10 normal

     [fonts]
     smbold=Helvetica 9 bold
     tiny=Helvetica 7 normal
     med=Helvetica 11 normal
     medit=Helvetica 11 italic
     bold=Helvetica 11 bold
     boldit=Helvetica 11 bold italic
     large=Helvetica 13 normal
     fixed=Courier 11
     entry=Courier 9
     entrybold=Courier 9 bold
     small=Helvetica 9 normal

Restart Athena.  If you can now see the buttons in the column
selection dialog, yay!  You're done.  If it still looks bad, make all
the numbers smaller and restart Athena until it looks ok on your
screen.  You have to restart Athena, the changes you make willnot take
effect until you do so.

As I said, this is a lousy solution.  I wish it worked better than
this, but hopefully this solution is not too cumbersome.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov