[Ifeffit] consultation

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 20 09:47:11 CST 2010

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 10:31:12 am 康明亮 wrote:
> Dear, I want to consult why I can not open the XANES raw data(like the
>  attached file Na2SeO3.dat) by Athena on my laptop(Windows system). It
>  prompt that : coulldn't read...(See the attached picture. file). Wish to
>  obtain help from you.Thanks very muchBest wishesMingliang

Hi Mingliang,

I am able to import those data.  My best guess for the problem is that
either Athena or Ifeffit is having toruble processing the filename,
which in your case contains unicode characters.

Try moving your data into a folder that does not have any Chinese
characters in its name.  For instance, try moving it to

  C:\Documents and Settings\yishi\data\Na2SeO3.dat

rather than its current location.

I hope that solves the problem.  As for the trouble with non-western
characters ... well, I apologize for that.  Our codes most definately
should work without regard to what language you speak.  I will try to
work on that in the future.

Hope that helps,

P.S. Because the first column contains a index of data points, Athena
mistakenly thinks that your data are in units of keV.  You will need
to explicitly select eV units as well as selecting the second column
as the energy column when you first import one of these files.  Good
luck.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov