[Ifeffit] Fwd: regading feff input file of sorbed species

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Tue Jan 12 09:19:09 CST 2010

Hi everyone,

Below is an email I received this morning.  I thought I would pass it along to
the mailing list.  I know that some of you work on projects very close to this
fellow's question and thought he would benefit by the wisdom of the masses.

Hi Sumit,

A few pointers:

 * There is a wealth of information about Feff and XAFS analysis at
http://xafs.org

 * I strongly encourage you to join and follow this mailing list.  I explain
the many benefits of the mailing list and offer some advice on using it
effectively at this page:
http://cars9.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/BruceRavel/FormLetters/HelpRequest

As for your question -- there are a number of approaches to the problem of
sorbed species that have been adopted by folks working both catalysis, in
environmental science, and elsewhere.  Obviously, sorbed species are a very
important topic in many fields and XAS is very attractive for learning
something about them.  You would be very well served by examining the very
large body of published literature on this topic.  Much of that work has been
done by people who read this mailing list -- I am hoping some of them will
speak up.

As I said, there are a number of ways to approach the problem.  One fairly
simple way is to run atoms on the substrate crystal and then "cut" the
resulting cluster to "expose" the surface.  What does this mean?  The simplest
case is to "expose" a (001) surface by simply deleting all atoms from the Feff
input file with a positive value for the Z coordinate (assuming, of course,
that the crystal is of an orthogonal type -- this "cutting" trick is a bit
trickier for other cystal types).  Then simply decorate the atoms list with
the absorber by placing at coordinates relative to the "exposed" surface that
is a plausible place to find that atom.  Be sure you set the POTENTIALS list
on the Feff input file correctly to account for the newly introduced absorber.
This is explained in the Feff documentation and ion several places at
xafs.org.

Hope that helps,