[Ifeffit] How to calculate F-value for XANES PCA results

Wayne Lukens wwlukens at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 11 16:29:10 CST 2010

Hi Andrew,

It is easier to use Fdist to calculate the probability that a given
value of F corresponds is within the noise.  The way to do this is
to use FDIST(F, (v1-v2), v1), where F, v1, and v2 are explained below.

If you have two models, model 1 and model 2, where model 1 has an
additional component versus model 2, and the chi-squared, number
of parameters, and degrees of freedom for model 1 are X1, p1, and
v1, where v1=n-p1 and n is the number of independent parameters, and
model 2 has similarly defined X2, p2, and v2, then

F= [(X2-X1)*v2]/[(v1-v2)*X1]

the probability of F is FDIST(F, (v1-v2), v1). I assume the same
is true for the PCA analysis; however, I don't know what the values
for v and p are in this case. The formula for F looks right.

At any rate, once you have done the PCA analysis, you need to figure
out which standard spectra span the components (there should be the
same number of standards as components). Then you need to fit your
experimental spectra using the standards. At that point you can
apply the F-test to determine whether the contribution from that
standard is greater than 2 sigma over the noise. I hope that makes
sense?

Sincerely,

Wayne