[Ifeffit] How to calculate F-value for XANES PCA results

Wayne Lukens wwlukens at lbl.gov
Mon Jan 11 11:08:05 CST 2010

Hi Andrew,

I don't completely understand what your question is, but I will try to
answer you.  First, Sam Webb should be able to answer exactly how F was
calculated in Six-Pack. However, I can tell you how F is calculated in
general. First of all, the number in the Excel spread-sheet is probably
not F, it is the probability of F. In general, if the probability of F
is greater than 5%, that component is part of the noise. This is the
same as saying that that component is within 2-sigma of the noise.

F is easy to calculate for least-squares fitting, and is nicely
explained by wikipedia in the regression problems section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-test

where RSS is chi-square and n is the number of independent data points,
which is the lesser of the number of data points or the spectral range
divided buy the resolution. In your example, you have 18 independent
data points (36 eV range divided by a 2 eV resolution).

You then need to calculate the probability of that value of F given the
number of parameters and number of independent data points, which is not
explained by the wiki article but can easily be done in Excel.

In your example, you have two components with probability of F less than
5%, these would be the components that you would retain.

Sincerely,

Wayne
--
Wayne Lukens