[Ifeffit] Fitting using Experimental standard

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Jan 4 21:32:16 CST 2010

Hi Fiona,

An experimental standard is a spectrum of a known material (the term
is also often used for the known material itself, in addition to its
spectrum). If you use Athena to do a linear combination fit, you are
most commonly using experimental standards to do it.

A theoretical standard is a theoretically simulated spectrum of some
structure. Thus, the theoretical standard is not the crystallographic
data itself, although that data can serve as a basis for generating a
theoretical standard using software such as FEFF.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College