[Ifeffit] Ifeffit "print" command question

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Fri Dec 31 07:18:56 CST 2010

> I have recently downloaded Ifeffit for Mac OS X from your website.  I am
> hoping to be able to use it with EXAFS data as the FEFF6 website led me
> to your application.  I am currently working through the tutorial.
> However, every time I try to use the print command to make a literal
> string statement, all I get is 0.0000 back.  Example:
>

> print " the square root of ", number, " is ", sqrt(number)
>
> 0.0                         99.0000000 0.0000000 9.94987437
>
> print "Hi mom"
>
> 0.000000000
>
> Any thoughts?

My thought is RTM.

   http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ifeffit/refman/node96.html

Ifeffit isn't really a proper language with a REPL in the sense that, say,
bash or python or powershell is.  Ifeffit is a pretty singular of purpose
object -- it is a tool for processing and analyzing certain kinds of data.  It
just does that.

As the page from the manual explains, "print" is a way of evaluating
expression.  "Hi mom" evaluates to 0.  So does " is ".  So does " the square
root of ".

In the problem area of Ifeffit, "print" is an expression evaluator, not the
parser/evaluator of a REPL.

Ifeffit> set a=2
Ifeffit> print a
      2.00000000