[Ifeffit] Manual update to iXAFS

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 31 09:42:02 CDT 2010

Hi,

I have made a little progress understanding and getting Ken McIvor's
iXAFS build scripts to run on my Macbook Pro.  I have not yet tackled
a full 64-bit version, but have managed to get it to compile ifeffit
1.2.11c and everything up to horae, including Tk and PGPLOT.

I could not get horae-066 to build from source, but did not pursue
this in detail, as it is not the goal.

I could also not get horae-070 to build cleanly from source, but I now
believe that to not be a Mac-specific problem, but that
horae-070.tar.gz is simply broken for building on clean machines.  I
will try the svn version today, and try to alter Ken's build script
for the new horae build system.

As I was looking at this, I also noticed several oddities in the
layout, and will try to improve these (make them more like the Unix
and Windows layouts).  That is,
  iXAFS.app/Contents/Resources/Horae/lib/perl5
should become
  iXAFS.app/Contents/Library/perl5

and
  iXAFS.app/Contents/Resources/Horae/share/ifeffit
should become
  iXAFS.app/Contents/Library/ifeffit

I will also try to add the python module directly to iXAFS.app.

I don't know what the best approach for making a Mac-specific updater
is, as the updaters we've done in the past are fully encapsulated
binaries.

It is also definitely worth considering packaging an entire perl
distribution under iXAFS.app.