[Ifeffit] Strange problems with Artemis

Jatinkumar Rana jatinkumar.rana at helmholtz-berlin.de
Fri Aug 27 02:19:30 CDT 2010

  Dear users,

I am facing a strange problem with Artemis and i don't know how to get
rid of it. I hope any expert in the mailing lists would help me solving
this problem.

I have EXAFS data on Fe and Mn K-edge for Arrojadite mineral. Since the
crystal structure of this mineral is not  known we did neutron
diffraction to refine the structure. To support the neutron diffraction
results, we planned to do EXAFS on this mineral (Fe and Mn k-edge). We
have around 8 different atomic species (i.e. Na,K,Fe,Mn,Al,Cr,O,P) in
the mineral and some of the sites are fractionally occupied.

Since ATOMS can not handle more than 7 potentials and site occupancy
other than unity i have made following changes :
1) replaced Cr with Al, mainly because Cr is present in a few ppm only
(relative importance).
2) set all site occupancy to 1

Even after doing the above changes, i got following error message when i
run FEFF

**************
  Feff 6L.02
   WARNING:  TWO ATOMS VERY CLOSE TOGETHER.  CHECK INPUT.
    atoms    11   20
     11   -3.01973   -0.20361    1.44233
     20   -3.54653   -0.05083    0.83053
   Run continues...
   WARNING:  TWO ATOMS VERY CLOSE TOGETHER.  CHECK INPUT.
    atoms    46   62
     46   -0.40014   -0.20361    5.03633
     62    0.12666   -0.05083    5.64813
   Run continues...
  Sodium Potassium Aluminium Chromium Iron Manganese Phosphate Hydrate
  Al Cr Fe7.53 H2 K1.21 Mn6 Na3 O50 P12
  Kallfa\&s, Christoph
  Crystal structure, chemical composition and
  thermal behaviour of arrojadite
  Calculating potentials and phases...
      free atom potential and density for atom type    0
      free atom potential and density for atom type    1
      free atom potential and density for atom type    2
      free atom potential and density for atom type    3
      free atom potential and density for atom type    4
      free atom potential and density for atom type    5
      free atom potential and density for atom type    6
      free atom potential and density for atom type    7
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    0
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    1
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    2
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    3
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    4
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    5
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    6
      overlapped potential and density for unique potential    7
      muffin tin radii and interstitial parameters
      phase shifts for unique potential    0
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
      phase shifts for unique potential    1
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
      phase shifts for unique potential    2
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
      phase shifts for unique potential    3
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
      phase shifts for unique potential    4
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
      phase shifts for unique potential    5
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
      phase shifts for unique potential    6
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
      phase shifts for unique potential    7
    Hard tests failed in fovrg.
   Muffin-tin radius may be too large; coordination number too small.
  Preparing plane wave scattering amplitudes...
    nncrit in prcrit       9
  Searching for paths...
      Rmax  7.0000  keep and heap limits   0.0000000   0.0000000
     Preparing neighbor table
      nfound  nheap  nheapx  nsc    r
        1000    469     469   3    5.2890
        2000    730     730   3    5.7147
        3000    907     907   3    5.9455
        4000   1040    1040   3    6.1157
        5000   1177    1177   3    6.2616
        6000   1319    1319   3    6.3835
        7000   1412    1413   3    6.4825
        8000   1443    1444   3    6.5749
        9000   1469    1473   3    6.6585
       10000   1432    1474   3    6.7377
       11000   1367    1474   3    6.8062
       12000   1202    1474   3    6.8680
       13000    870    1474   3    6.9289
       14000    251    1474   3    6.9856
.
.
.
.
.
..
.

     This warning indicates a problem in the Atoms list.  For some
     reason you have atoms that are separated by than 0.93 Angstroms
     (or 1.75 Rydberg).

     This may be due to the presence of hydrogen atoms in your feff.inp
     file, in which case this is an innocuous warning and may be ignored.

     However, this may indicate a problem constructing the Atoms
     list. The most common cause of this problem is a mistake in the
     crystallographic data used on the Atoms page.  You may have
     incorrect values for lattice constants or angles or incorrect
     values for site coordinates.  You may need a shift vector to move
     the lattice into its standard setting.

     Please be aware that Atoms works with 5 digits of precision.
     Thus, if you have a site with a coordinate of 1/3, you should use
     either "1/3" or "0.33333" on the Atoms page.  Using insufficient
     precision, say "0.333" is a common cause of this error message.

     Artemis has continued on the possibility that the warning is
     caused by hydrogen atoms, but be warned that the feff.inp may
     require your attention.

Many more thanks in advance for your valuable time and suggestions....

Best regards,
Rana