[Ifeffit] two measurements of the same compound in different beam-lines

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Aug 13 03:21:56 CDT 2010

Hi Maria,

You have several choices. First, note that the merge function in
Athena allows you to select options of weight by chi-noise, or weight
by importance. If you weight by chi-noise, noisier data will be
counted less. If you have some other way of estimating the quality of
the data sets, you can enter different numbers in the "importance"
field and then weight by importance.

If working on two different beamlines, you might consider merging
chi(k) data, rather than norm(E), as the backgrounds may be different.
And mu(E) probably makes no sense at all.

Another option is to obtain separate chi(k)'s, but then fit both
spectra simultaneously in Artemis. The Artemis/Ifeffit default
behavior in that case will be to use high-R noise for weighting, but
you can override that by assigning an epsilon to each data set if you
choose. This method has several advantages: it lets you see if one
data set is fitting differently from the other; it lets you choose
different k-ranges if noise begins dominating one data set at a lower
value of k; it lets you use different values of S02 if there are
pinhole, harmonic, or self-absorption effects; and it lets you use
different values of delE0 if the data sets are hard to align properly.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College