[Ifeffit] updating Athena in Windows 7 (Matt Newville)

Laurent Menard menard at email.unc.edu
Tue Aug 10 18:47:03 CDT 2010

Todd,

I don't know what your update failure exactly was but if the status bar
showed that the zip file was downloaded and they you got stuck on the
extraction part of the update it is likely a write permission problem.  Your
issue with saving the .ini file would fit with that.

Even if you have administrator permissions you may need to change your
security settings.  Try this:

Right click on the IFEFFIT folder in Program Files and select Properties.
Select the Security tab and then click the Edit button.  For all of the
group or user names listed make sure Allow is marked for all permissions
(Checking Full Control should select all of the permissions in the list
below it).  Hit the Apply button and then the OK button.  Then try opening
Athena again and see if it successfully runs through the update process.  If
you haven't changed the freq. that Athena looks for updates then you can
just change the date in Windows to the next day, run Athena, and then change
it back to the correct date.

I'm sure there's a way to do this globally but I don't know what it is.
I've done this with a few programs where I had write permission issues in
Windows 7 (e.g. ImageJ) and it usually works.

Laurent