[Ifeffit] Normalization in Athena

Kropf, Arthur Jeremy kropf at anl.gov
Mon Oct 26 09:27:28 CDT 2009

Shelly,

I agree that Athena applies its (her) algorithm correctly.  Whether that
algorithm is correct may be a matter of opinion.  The apparent
discrepency Lisa sees is due to Athena's algorithm:

i.e., fit preedge line, fit postedge function to normalization range,
extrapolate both functions to edge energy to find edge step.

Another option would be to fit predge line and subtract it.  After that,
fit the post edge normalization range.

With Athena, if there is a non-zero slope to the preedge line and you
choose norm order 1, you get Lisa's result.  With normalization order 2
or 3, the results should either be the same, or at least, much closer.

Jeremy