[Ifeffit] Installation ifeffit-1.2.4.dmg OS X 10.2.8

Paul Fons paul-fons at aist.go.jp
Sun Oct 18 20:22:01 CDT 2009

Have you tried some of the older releases in the ifeffit project on
SourceForge (http://sf.net).  Iffefit relies on Perl as well as PerlTK
for the X11 based interface.  I helped make some of the earlier
versions of the installer (the newest version iXAFS has a launcher
included in it -- although it is still being updated for Snow Leopard)
so I remember some of the details.  PerlTK needs to be compiled for a
particular version of perl (which is different on each MacOS
release).  There were also some binary compatibilities introduced in
the perl environment at some point I recall (older binaries were not
usable).  It is thus important to build ifeffit for each release.  You
can download the sourcecode for ifeffit on sf.net as well and   build
it yourself if you can't find an appropriate binary installer there
(the appropriate PerlTK would have to be downloaded from perl.org).
The build is fairly straightforward (you need f77 which is still out
there on the net).  The older OS appropriate binary installer would be
the easiest solution.  I would offer to help more, but I don't have a
machine that can run the older OS.

		Paul