[Ifeffit] Fwd: Mg k-edge and Athena Questions

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Oct 8 08:03:05 CDT 2009

On Thursday 08 October 2009 08:47:11 am Bruce Ravel wrote:
> This is Fang from Yale University, Pfefferle and Haller's group. Besides
> our research on Co/Pt on your X23A2 and X18B, I am mainly involved in the
> Mg and B edge measurement. I heard from Paul that you also have anongoing
> project on Mg k-edge, and the updated Athena could import the raw data from
> X15B. However, after I installed the most recent version of Ifeffit and
> installed, they still don't recognize the data file. Could you show me how
> to import the data? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Data from X15B comes off the beamline in the form of a strange binary
file.  Athena's capability to read these files is implemented in the
form of a file type plugin.  Here is the reelavent section from the
Athena manual:

http://cars9.uchicago.edu/~ravel/software/doc/Athena/html/import/plugin.html

Scroll down to the description of the the plugin registry for an
explanation of how to get started.  In short, you will want to turn on
the X15B plugin.  Once you have done that, Athena should recognize
X15B binary files and convert it into a readable form for import.

> There is another question come with the seasonal shut down of
> X15B. Do you know any other active beamlines who are willing to put
> in the effort to scan Mg k-edge? Since NSLS asked us to put in a
> substitute beamline after we put in this year's proposal, we thought
> you might have a much better idea of which beamline to turn for this
> hard range around 1300eV.

The 1 - 2 keV range is a really tough energy range.  X15B was filling
a niche at NSLS.  To my knowledge -- and after a quick peak at the
NSLS beamline guide -- there isn't another beamline at NSLS offering
photons for XAS in the energy range.  None of the UV ring spectroscopy
beamlines advertise an energy range above 1200 eV.

There are some other options if you are willing to look farther afield
than NSLS.  The XAS beamline at CAMD is one option.  I believe that
there are beamlines at the ALS that can do XAS in that energy range.
Examples from even farther afield would inlcude the Lucia beamline at
Soleil and beamline 8 at the Thai synchrotron.

Perhaps some of the folks on this mailing list can suggest some other
options for that energy range.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov