[Ifeffit] Bond length determination EXAFS vs XRD

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Fri Nov 27 13:12:15 CST 2009

XRD measures interplanar spacing, and XAFS - interatomic distances, and they are not the same if disorder is present. Look for articles by Boyce and Mikkelsen, Jr., in Phys Rev B in 1980's who were the first discussing these concepts in GaAs-InAs semiconductors and also KBr-RbBr ionic salts.
They showed that the average structure ascertained by diffraction differs from the local structure measured by EXAFS.
Modern day high energy XRD/PDF measures interatomic distances more accurately than Bragg peak analysis can do but how accurately it agrees with EXAFS is still subject of debates.
Anatoly