[Ifeffit] Bug in Athena?

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Thu Nov 19 10:48:32 CST 2009

There are a few questions all mixed together here.

Why does Athena make a merge of references?  As Matt points out, that is
an odd thing to do.  I decided I wanted some kind of reference channel
tied to the merged spectrum so that I could take merged data from
different project files and figure out how to align them in a consistent
manner.  The easiest way to do this was to tie something to the merged
spectrum as its reference channel.  I decided to make a merge of the
reference spectra to serve this purpose.  That was just a decision -- I
could just as well have made a copy of the reference of the first
spectrum in the merge list.

So what explains the behavior Darek is asking about?  Well, Athena
doesn't actually make a serious distinction between data and its
reference.  They are both treated normal dtaa groups internally.  The
sense in which the reference is somehow special is that you, the user,
tend not to look at it after you have done data alignment.

So, when you make a merge, Athena sums up all the marked groups.  Then,
if ach one has a reference tied to it, it sums up the references and
then ties together these two merged spectra.

However, the reference tying runs both ways.  If you change the energy
shift for one, the other's energy shift changes the same way.  In that
sense, there is *no* difference between data and a reference.

So, if you make a merge of data, ther references get merged into a
merged reference.  If you make a merge of references, the data get
merged as well.  The data groups that are maked get called "merge".  The
merge of the tied groups gets called "  Ref merge".  If you do the merge
of the reference channels, these two merged groups get labeled
backwards.

I think that explains everything....