[Ifeffit] How to judge if the coordination numbers are different?

Matthew mamarcus at lbl.gov
Wed Nov 11 18:00:22 CST 2009

My intuitive reaction is that these differences are unconvincing, but that itself is unconvincing, being based on gut feel.  I
assume that the numbers in () are error bars?
Anyway, you can try fitting the whole set with common, concentration-dependent CNs (6 variables) or age-dependent CNs (also 6) or
just one common pair of CNs (2 variables) by
slaving some CNs to others.  This is easy to do in Artemis.  It can then be argued that if the reduced sum-square ("chi-square")
goes up on applying these constraints, then you've
got real differences.  However, it may be that the same effect can be obtained by fixing the CNs and letting the ss's float in the
same way as you've done with the CNs.  To check
the robustness of the differences, you could try doing your co-refinement with just some of the data, for instance the 1-day 300
plus 55-day 1200 with none of the others.

A possible experimental control, if you can get more beamtime, would be to age a 1200mmol sample, then dilute it with more peat to a
concentration of 300mmol, and age some more,
while at the same time aging a 300mmol sample.  If these two came out indistinguishable, then either the concentration effect is due
to a reversible reaction or is some strange artifact
of concentration.  Since you're working right at the margins of what the technique can do, you have to consider possibilities like
that.
    mam