[Ifeffit] modeling anti-site disorder

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Sun Nov 8 11:51:38 CST 2009

Since in your case it is not a random alloy (I just realized that Co does not substitute for Ga, only Ga for Co, and thus this material should have compensating vacancies on Ga sites), you should include the possibility of vacancy in your fitting scheme.
For the first neighbors it will be:

chi(Co-1NN)  = chi(Co-Ga)*y1
where y is the Ga site occupancy (provided that chi(Co-Ga) was obtained for a model CsCl structure with 8 nearest neighbors per atom).

chi(Ga-1NN) = chi(Ga-Co)*x + chi(Ga-Ga)*y2
where x + y are less than 1 (again, provided that each contribution was calculated for the ideal CsCl structure where Ga substituted for Co as described below).
It also help that your alloy has a 50/50 composition of Ga and Co - it is only in that case y1 is always equal to y2 and you should constrain it as such in the fit.

Then, when you do the fit to the 1NN shell, do it simultaneously for both Ga and Co edges, and vary x and y. It is not easy to say in advance what kind of uncertainties you will be getting since you will vary two parameters, not one as it is usually done in the case of random alloys, and if the correlations will be large you may decide to introduce another contraint, e.g., a known value of site occupancy of Ga (i.e., y = 0.2).

Anatoly