[Ifeffit] Ifeffit Digest, Vol 73, Issue 25

Zuzaan, Damdinsuren zuzaan at uni-mainz.de
Tue Mar 31 14:42:57 CDT 2009

Hi Matt,

>From the raw data I can recognize columns with dead time information. Also I am waiting reply from beamline scientists. Anyway, could you give me some detailed information how to do this dead time correction with Ifeffit commands or within Athena. Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Damdin

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:18:43 -0500
From: Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Re: [Ifeffit] Ifeffit Digest, Vol 73, Issue 24
To: XAFS Analysis using Ifeffit <ifeffit at millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov>

Hi Damdin,

> I checked my spectra and found that I forgot to do the dead time correction (measurement were in fluorescence mode).
> So I think the small S02 and N are due to deadtime effect.

Yes, a slightly saturated detector can cause an S02 that is a little smaller than normal.

> It is possible to do it in Athena?

In general, athena doesn't have buttons or a page to do dead time corrections.  This is because there isn't a single, consistent way to
store the dead time information.   You might want to consult with the
beamline scientist for how to make these corrections.  If you know what columns in your data file hold the dead time information (and what the columns are holding), it's possible to do this with Ifeffit commands (within athena, even).

Cheers,

--Matt Newville <newville at cars.uchicago.edu>