[Ifeffit] About S02

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Mar 27 18:23:29 CDT 2009

Hi Damdin,

Matt and Shelly have answered this very well, but I have one more
thought to add.

You have a mineralogical sample and apparently have a pretty good idea
what the mineral is, since you're not varying r or n. Under those
circumstances, you probably have a hypothesis as to the structure
beyond the nearest-neighbor. If you include more than one path in your
fit, the inability to distinguish coordination number from S02 is
reduced, and more importantly for your purposes, the correlation
between S02 and sigma2 is also reduced. If it stays the same when you
add more paths, it can help increase your confidence that the low S02
in your fit is appropriate.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College