[Ifeffit] running diffkk and deltaf

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 9 15:44:30 CDT 2009

Hi Marie,

Sorry about this, and for the delay in responding.  Currently, diffkk
and deltaf are not currently included in the Windows Ifeffit
distribution, and are not available simply as ifeffit commands.

The "almost-good" news is that diffkk has been ported to Python, which
can, in principle, be downloaded and run on Windows machines.  This
code was ported by Adam Webb from Fortran (written mostly by me) to
Python.  For now, this code is available from
       http://cars.uchicago.edu/ifeffit/diffkk

The "less-good" news is that, when I try to use this myself, I am
getting important differences between the Windows and Unix version --
and the Windows version is definitely wrong....
In addition, it's more work to get the python code to work on Windows
(like, how to get Python to communicate to Ifeffit and what other
extensions you might need), which is not currently well-managed.   It
is possible (though no one has done it yet!) to make a standalone
executable.    Probably, we need to figure out why it's not working on
Windows....

I will try to do work on this, but life is complicated this summer, so
I can't promise when this can be completed.

--Matt