[Ifeffit] orbital configuration (FEFF8)

joshua jason kas hebhop at u.washington.edu
Thu Jul 2 11:28:35 CDT 2009

Hi Iraida,
I believe there are a few issues here that could be addressed/explained.
First, the electronic configuration given at the end of the potentials is
only the configuration of the valence electrons. For example the
absorbing oxygen should be interpreted as
      0     0    1.953     ~2s2
      0     1    5.159     ~2p5 (The ~1 extra valence electron for the
 				absorbing atom is due to the attractive
 				core hole)
      0     2    0.040
      0     3    0.000

while for Cd
      1     0    0.723     ~5s1
      1     1    0.711     ~5p1
      1     2   10.149     ~4d10
      1     3    0.000

Here, the differences from the atomic configuration of 4d10 5s2 are due to
the fact that this is a self-consistent solid state configuration, i.e.
the valence electrons were allowed to relax and were effected by the solid
state potential.
That being said, there are ways to change the initial configuration for
the elements, but you would have to change the source code and recompile.
I don't think this is what you want to do though. As for improving your
results, there may be a variety of things that you can do. Off hand your
input file looks pretty good. One thing you might try is using the card
UNFREEZEF which allows the d electrons from the Cd to tranfer to f states
which can sometimes be important when the d band is full.
I hope that my answer helps some, at least in interpreting FEFFs output.
Josh Kas