[Ifeffit] RE : RE : problem with Athena's E0 !

Arezki, Bahia Bahia.Arezki at uni-siegen.de
Wed Jul 1 11:18:17 CDT 2009

Bruce,

I think I was misunderstood, I have nothing against the capabilities of Athena, which I have chosen to use for my xanes processing/analysis and I am happy about that.  In fact I only  referred to  the explanation in the Athena user's guide by telling that my case could be one of those few situations mentioned in the guide where one has to re-consider to the default value  [ the human attention :-)   ](see the text bellow) .

"....There are a few situations where the default algorithm will fail. Very noisy data can result in a spurious identification of «e0». Materials which have two inflections in the edge, such as zero-valent zirconium, might have the wrong inflection chosen. Materials with huge edge peaks, such as K2CrO4 , will have a point in the leading edge of the peak chosen rather than a point in the main edge......"

I know that Athena is simply a software and the user is responsible for its use.. As a  user, I only needed your help and wanted to know if my data processing was correct. I need to be sure about that in order to do a correct analysis/ interpretation of my results.

Once again, sorry for this misunderstanding (I realize just now that I did not chose the right objet name for my e-mail ) and thanks a lot for your help,

Bahia