[Ifeffit] RE : problem with Athena's E0 !

Bruce Ravel bravel at bnl.gov
Wed Jul 1 09:42:54 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 01 July 2009 10:08:25 am Arezki, Bahia wrote:
> It seems that  ATHENA gives a  spurious value for  E0 (1728 eV for S36
> xanes)   due to a shoulder in the rising part of the white line which is
> quite intense at  RT (s11) and decreases during the cooling of the sample.
> So, for s36 xanes at 10 K, ATHENA is simply taking the highest maximum in
> the 1st derivative which is this time higher in energy than the first one .

I have to object to this characterization.  Athena has not done
anything "spurious".  In fact, in your case, it seems to have behaved
exactly as documented.

As Jeremy said, it is the responsibility of *you, the user* to
correctly process your data.  Athena is merely a computer program --
it can offer nothing more than default values and some simple
algorithms.  Sadly, science is not so simple that it can be done
without the attention of a human.

 Bruce Ravel  ------------------------------------ bravel at bnl.gov