[Ifeffit] Self absorption Correction

Jens Kruse jens.kruse at uni-rostock.de
Fri Jan 30 10:49:13 CST 2009

Hi there,

I have measured a pure reference compound with high absorber
concentration in fluorescence mode (P K-edge XANES).  I tried to use the
Self absorption correction  included in Athena but I don't really
understand the results.
Fist: Do I have to use the edge step normalized spectrum or the spectrum
without normalization ? I tried both and the results  of course a quite
different. I would rather use the not normalized spectrum.
Second: the value "Angel in"  is this the angle between the incident
beam and the sample surface" and "Angle out"  the angle between the
sample surface and the detector position?
Third: More general- How can I identify a spectrum suffering self
absorption? Just comparing the relative peak intensities of total
electron yield signal with the fluorescence yield signal ?

thanks a lot for your comments,
cheers,
 Jens

--