[Ifeffit] Artemis parameters

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:27:46 CST 2009

Hi Abhijeet,

The guess values are simply the starting point for ifeffit to work
from, so they don't matter as long as they're "reasonable," which the
default values are, at least if your normalization and background
subtraction is OK.

But more importantly, the default parameters themselves are not
appropriate for more than one shell of copper foil! If you're using
more than one path, you need all the paths to expand by the same
fraction, not the same number of angstroms. Therefore you want to
guess a parameter (let's call it "alpha") and make the delr for each
path alpha*reff. (ifeffit knows that reff means half the nominal
length of that path.) Likewise, it's probably inappropriate to use the
same sigma2 for all paths, but fortunately for metals the Debye model
works fairly well. You can have a guessed variable for the Debye
temperature (say, "omega"), and then have sigma2 for each path be
Debye(temp, theta), where "temp" is the temperature you measured the
data at.

As far as the ideal fitting range in R for copper foil, you can
usually manage out to 5 angstroms or so with a metal foil without too
much difficulty.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College