[Ifeffit] Energy shift

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 27 11:02:44 CST 2009

HI Eugenio,

I'm not sure I understand the question.  Do you mean that you ran
Feff8 calculations on these Er materials and see energy shifts between
the calculations?   Or do you mean that you see an energy shift
between the calculations and experimental spectra?

If it's the former -- I'm not sure.  I'd expect that the calculated
edges for these would be pretty similar.  I don't have a lot of
experience with Feff8 and hydroxide structures (I probably should!),
but I might suspect that having H in the calculation could cause an
small energy shift. Perhaps someone here with more experience can
comment on that.

If it's the latter (calculations vs experiment),  ~5 eV seems
reasonable.  Feff's calculation of E_f is not perfect, and I wouldn't
be too surprised by an absolute energy shift of a few eV for a
rare-earth L edge.   In addition, setting the absolute energy in an
experiment can easily be off by a few eV at 8 to 9 keV.  Since you say
you ran a Ni foil, I'd expect the experimental calibration to be
better than that, but it might depend on details of the beamline.

--Matt