[Ifeffit] Cumulant expansion fittings

Frenkel, Anatoly frenkel at bnl.gov
Wed Jan 21 09:12:01 CST 2009

Hi Scott,

Third cumulant in your example will not be zero because this arrangement is symmetric only on the average. Locally, the interatomic pair potential (and the cumulants are the measures of the effective pair potential) which is the sum of the two potentials - between the interestitial and its neighbors on the opposite sides)- is still asymmetric, since the repulsive bruch of the potential is steeper than the attractive brunch. You can model your situation using two anharmonic pair potentials, e.g., Morse potential (see, for example, Rehr-Hung's paper in Phys Rev B in the 1990's, and I've done such calculations too, just in the case you described) and you will obtain that the effective pair potential is still analytically anharmonic and it has a non-zero third cumulant.

Anatoly