[Ifeffit] How to keep enot, delr, and ss within acceptable limits

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Fri Jan 9 11:46:22 CST 2009

Hi Hashem,

Yes, there is, sort of.

Use a restraint of this form: Penalty(enot,-10,10)*1000

This adds a penalty to chi-square when enot is outside of the range
-10 to 10. The *1000 part just makes it a very steep penalty; you can
make it smaller (or larger) to allow it to drift a little outside the
targeted range.

Having said that, I find that it usually doesn't work as desired. Most
of the time the fit just goes to the edge of wherever you set the
penalty and sits there. That means there's an underlying problem in
the model or the data which really needs to be addressed. Once in a
while, though, the penalty function will keep you out of a false
minimum and put you in the right one.

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College