[Ifeffit] Self absorption Correction

Richard Mayes rtmayes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 08:51:10 CST 2009

Jens,

Since no one has answered yet, I'll chime in.  First let me direct you to a
discussion of self-absorption and other sample-related distortions:
http://www.xafs.org/Experiment/OverAbsorption  (this is a link from the
tutorials page of www.xafs.org).

As for your questions:

I think that you should use the non-normalized XANES data to perform the SA
correction.

for the angle-in and angle-out meanings, see Grant Bunker's paper on
self-absorption here:
http://gbxafs.iit.edu/training/Self_Absorption_effects.pdf

Now, how do you determine if you have self-absorption effects?  I have to
defer here to those with more experience.  What you suggest sounds
appropriate, but I'm not sure how you could determine this without studying
multiple concentrations of your absorber and watch the signals, i.e. does a
10% increase in absorber concentration translate to a 10% increase in
fluorescence yield (similar to what Matthew Marcus and Alain Manceau
describe in their paper, from the over-absorption link above).

HTH,
-Rich