[Ifeffit] Fwd: Guessed parameter and Einstien temperature

Scott Calvin SCalvin at slc.edu
Mon Feb 2 07:09:25 CST 2009

Hi Abhjeet,

I think you're misunderstanding the meaning of alpha here. It's not
the temperature expansion coefficient; after all, you're measuring at
only one temperature.

Generally alpha and thetad should be guessed. For a variety of
reasons, they are unlikely to be exactly the same as the literature
values when you fit them. For one thing, the Debye model is just that--
a model--and therefore different methods of determining the Debye
temperature will yield somewhat different results.

As far as the extended parameters Ei, third, and fourth, are you
saying you'd like to fit them but can't figure out how to do it? Or
that you're wondering how to set them?

--Scott Calvin
Sarah Lawrence College