[Ifeffit] Lattice parameters: EXAFS vs. XRD

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 30 10:47:50 CST 2009

Hi Scott,

I believe we had a conversation about this last January.

XAFS is not sensitive to the crystallographic lattice constants.  It
measures the spacing between atoms.  Because of thermal vibrations and
other disorder terms, the average distance between atoms is larger
than the distance between the lattice points.

--Matt