[Ifeffit] installing IFeffit, etc on user accounts

Matt Newville newville at cars.uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 22 11:57:19 CST 2009

Hi Elizabeth,

If you can install as the user who will run athena/artemis, that
should definitely help.  As Bruce suggested, the most likely problem
is that Athena/Artemis are trying to write files to a directory they
do not have permission to write to (hope the grammar police are not
reading this!).   Generally, Athena and Artemis will store
intermediate data in
    C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\horae

I forget if this is controlled by the environmental variable %APPDATA%
or %USERPROFILE% or %HOMEPATH%, but that shouldn't stop us -- just set
these to a directory the user can write to just before running
Athena/Artemis.  For me,  this batch file

Run_Atermis.bat:
@echo off
SET IFEFFIT_DIR="C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\"
SET IFEFFIT_BIN="C:\Program Files\Ifeffit\bin"
SET PATH=%PATH%;%IFEFFIT_BIN%
SET PGPLOT_DIR=%IFEFFIT_BIN%
SET PGPLOT_DEV=/GW

SET USERPROFILE=E:\Newville
SET HOMEPATH=E:\Newville
SET HOME=E:\Newville

%IFEFFIT_BIN%\runner.exe artemis
REM End of Run_Artemis.bat

works to put the 'horae' files under E:\Newville.

I suspect that this could be made more robust, but that should at
least get you running.
Cheers,