[Ifeffit] Vanadium pre edge peak contributes to K-space?

Chris Patridge patridge at buffalo.edu
Tue Aug 25 10:44:38 CDT 2009

Bruce Ravel wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 August 2009 11:02:26 am Chris Patridge wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> After calibration, alignment and merging V K edge data, there seems to
>> be a large peak in R space below 1 A.  From most examples and readings,
>> this would seem to be noise since atoms do not reside that close to each
>> other.  Adding a background addresses this noise but then the number of
>> variables becomes too large and meaningless to the first shell R space
>> range.  I believe the problem lies with the large pre edge feature seen
>> with high valence state Vanadium compounds.  Any suggestions on how to
>> work through this and make realistic EXAFS analysis on these compounds.
>>
>> Thanks everyone,
>>

> Didn't Richard Mayes answer this same question from you last month?
>
>    http://millenia.cars.aps.anl.gov/pipermail/ifeffit/2009-July/004365.html
>
> In my experience, Richard's answer was spot on for V K edge data.
>
> If Richard's good advice didn't help, then you need to be more
> explicit about what the problem is, perhaps by posting a small athena
> project file that demonstrates the problem.

Yes it is a very similar question.  I did make this type of correction
by setting E0 myself.  When moving to R space the data shows significant
intensity below 1 A which I thought was noise but it may not be.  Are
these low A signals data or noise is my main concern because EXAFS
fitting does not fit all that well which then would point me to my model
as the problem which I think i understand.

Thank you all for your patience,

--
Christopher J. Patridge
Graduate Student