[Ifeffit] Pellet sample preparation

Welter, Edmund edmund.welter at desy.de
Fri Aug 21 08:47:07 CDT 2009

Hi Dominik,

you can use cellulose powder (Aldrich) it forms very stable pellets and
does not stick to your pressing tool like BN. Chemically it is
definitely less inert than PE but I never saw that it reacted with
samples. An advantage of the cellulose powder over the Uvasol PE is that
the grain size distribution is much more homogeneous and the particles
are smaller enabling much more homogeneous samples than the PE (That is
you must not sieve it before use). If you use BN be sure to have some
vaseline at hand, otherwise you will not be able to remove the pellet
from the pressing tool. Some people used PTFE powder, don't know if it
works but at least F is a heavy element compared to H. When Merck ceased
to sell the Uvasol PE we tested a all PE powders we could lay our hands
on but couldn't find one that formed stable pellets.

Regards,
Edmund