[Ifeffit] Is it legitimate to merge transmission data withfluorescence data?

Matthew mamarcus at lbl.gov
Mon Aug 10 17:54:37 CDT 2009

A trick I've used when the fluorescence data are good but affected by overabsorption, and the transmission data are noisy is to
reduce both data sets to post-edge normalized form (0 in pre-edge, oscillating about 1 post-edge), then apply a simple
overabsorption model to 'correct' the fluorescence so it matches the transmission.  This is a bit risky in that some of the same
samples which exhibit overabsorption will also show hole (thickness) effect, which looks enough like overabsorption so that you
under-correct the fluorescence.

Otherwise, if the goal is to reduce noise, perhaps the best way is to reduce both to post-edge normalized form, then do a weighted
sum.  What weights?  Look at the noise level on each and weight it accordingly.  One way to do that is to fit a polynomial and look
at the magnitude of the residuals and ask "how many counts/point would an ideal Poissonian counter need to get the residual this
low?".  The "2-column Editor" program available from the ALS Beamline 10.3.2 website
http://xraysweb.lbl.gov/uxas/Beamline/Software/Software.htm -> Utilities has that as a capability.  If you want to use it, download
the program and reply to me off-line for an explanation of how to use the noise analysis; the on-line doc is outdated and doesn't
include that feature.
    mam